Friday, July 18, 2008

Advancement: Opening a Savings Account

Who knows the power of money? I know that I do, and I value it! That's why at the age of 14 (still a freshman in high school), I begged my dad to take me to the local bank to open a savings account. I really wanted to be able to write checks, I thought it was so cool, but wasn't old enough! So, one day after school my dad took me! I felt so important and encouraged, I couldn't wait to tell my friends.

That savings account ended up being to my benefit, as I started my first job that summer as an accounting intern for a very well-known company, worldwide! I planned to get my first car the same day that I passed my road test, and at that point I realized that I needed to save. So for the next 7 weeks of my internship, I made $320 a week! That is a great amount of money for a 14 year old believe me! I couldn't wait until payday, so I could march through the bank and show the tellers how I was spending my summer!

Anywho, enough about my experience as a first time account holder. Let's talk about the importance of a savings account in a realistic, teenage perspective!

Regardless of how much money you make, there is room to save! Even if it's only the change that you collect from your pockets at the end of the day. Now as an accounting major, I like to do calculations! So I'm going to provide you with an example of how much you could save, and what you could do with your savings.

Let's say, at the end of the day after all of your purchases, you accumulate at least $0.85 in change. With 365 days in a year, you can save $310.25! Without thinking, that is a nice amount of money to have as a teen, starting the year off on a good foot! Now if you could just manage to not touch it starting at 13 years old, by the time you're 18 you'll have $1,551.25 saved up!

Now, I mention a savings account, and not a piggy bank, because a savings account is more secure. There is less chance of you using the money for reckless expenses, like ice cream, CDs and friendship bracelets!! There is someone monitoring your savings, and with a parent involved it's even easier! The simplest thing to do is, take a jar or the piggy bank you've had since a child, collect your change every night. Hide the money somewhere where you rarely look, like under your bed... unless your room is a mess and you frequently check under your bed for shoes and whatnot! Then you may need to hide it under your parents' bed! At the end of each month, take your jar to the bank (I know a lot of them now have 'Coin Star' like machines that members can use for free. If not, make use of the coin wrappers that they give you for free to save the bank teller, and yourself, some time).

Some banks even offer (good) interest on savings accounts. Let's say (yes! another example) your bank offers 4% monthly interest for savings balances above $200. Once you reach $200, your account will look like this:

Month 1: $200 x 0.04 = $8, which means your account balance is now $208!
Month 2: $208 x 0.04 = $8.32, which means your account balance is now $216.32

This may be a little unrealistic for some institutions. The interest rate may actually be .4%, you never know!

In essence, the just of this post is to encourage you to save. Whatever the reason may be... you may want a car, pay for your first year of college, buy your parents a nice anniversary gift, or your boyfriend a hat! If you put your mind to it, YOU CAN DO IT!

9 comments:

Niesha Miller said...

Thanks for the comment and the compliment on my grammar. My friends make fun of me because of the way I speak. African-American North Philly girls can speak well too! Everybody can't be hood. I love your blog! As a poor college student, your financial advice is very much appreciated!!! haha

Darshan Chande said...

Nice acticle..! Good advice and yes you have been pretty clever since young age it seems ;-) Keep blogging...

Sloppy Firsts Girl said...

You left a comment about good books for the younger crowd. Actually, I would recommend the first book I reviewed, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. And if I think of any more I'll put them up on my blog. So, just keep an eye out.

Tal

Frugal Wench said...

Good post! I wish everyone felt the way you do, the world would be in a lot better shape. I'm putting you on my bloglist.

live your life. said...

hey girl thanks for the advice! you are totally right.. i mean its just going to take me a little bit of time to figure all that stuff out for myself.. and just realize its about me and to not care about all that bad stuff.. but i know one day it will all be better.. i hope you post some blogs on that kind of stuff. its not only interesting but a great deal of help considering my mom wants me to go talk to someone, but yeah not gonna happen. haha
but thanks again!

The Perpetual Single said...

I wish I had someone around me telling me to do that when I was 14!

I learned it all as I went along. Life is funny that way.

Keep up the good work! I'll be reading!

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be wow.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Miss Building Blocks’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Hai thanx for sharing mate
you can submit this links to
www.mligg.com

ßry™ said...

another way to keep your money moving is playing with stocks of mutual funds. especially now while the economy is down... it's the best time to invest. go and search about mutual funds.

good luck!

ßry™
http://bry-hq.blogspot.com

Check Miss Building Blocks Calendar for Upcoming Topics